Friday, March 24, 2017

What Wait?

Yesterday March 23 was my 79th birthday.That meant renewing my drivers license among other things.

Rising early, an unusual event for this retired old guy. My schedule was as follows: First, a haircut, which due to mostly weather related events was delayed to the shaggy condition, so it was my first stop in Hayden. There was just one customer ahead of me.

Dreading the expected long wait at the DMV, I, believing a lengthy period on my butt. I walked in and behold! while all of the windows were full, nary a seat was occupied in the waiting area. After a ten minute wait I approached the deputy hoping my glasses on order at the VA would not be needed. The lady that served me acted like I needed a white cane and a seeing eye dog. But explaining the glasses on order hadn't arrived yet, she begrudgingly passes me, took my $30.00 and Wallah, I was done.

Unfortunately instead of leaving Coeur d"Alene at two, heading to the Spokane VA for a scheduled CT scan, I had time to burn. So I had an early lunch at a Chinese restaurant. In my car I noticed it was just 12.03. I reached the VA at 1:00, with a 3:00 appointment. I went ahead and checked in and lo and behold, only waited for about 10 minutes to be ushered in.

My adult kids and assorted granddaughters expected me at around 3:00 pm, and it was just 1:30. So I played with my two youngest while waiting for the older ones to get home from school.I got to watch a cd of a school play from last year that I missed.

After a birthday dinner with a birthday blackberry pie instead of cake, I headed for home, reaching Bayview around 8:30. Sucking down a beer at the Captain's Wheel, I pulled in a home with all my chores done including making my reduced Real Estate tax exemption and application for sales tax reduction.

A full day that went off like it should always, ahead of schedule and without a hitch. I now have to wait for the proverbial other shoe to drop. The law of averages suggest I'll have a bad day to balance the ever present karma. Not bad for an old codger, eh?

No comments: