Thursday, January 04, 2018

Winter From Hell

I remember a year after 1995 that had much more snow, I just can't remember which one it was. The key here is that I was much younger then and more able to cope with the difficulties.

This year wouldn't have been all that bad if a freezing rain were not sandwiched between two back to back storm systems, causing a thick layer of ice to form inside the compacted foot of the white stuff.

I was trapped for five days, with both doors unable to open wide enough to get out. Fortunately, when I put the word out that I needed help, Ralph Jones, owner of Ralph's Coffee house rode to the rescue. He shoveled my back entrance clear, shoveled my car out then took my accumulated garbage out, went to the store for me and ran other errands that were critical. That we have a man of that stature here in Bayview, Idaho is more than outstanding.

The problem was exacerbated, because Frontier Telephone Company has consistently missed installation appointments, so I couldn't even call 911 if needed. Now if it just would warm up enough to clear the roads, we would be in high clover.

No comments: