Thursday, June 02, 2005

Challenges

Two days ago, I learned that I probably have cancer of the prostate. While being tested routinely at the V.A. for various things last Summer, my PSA reading came back at 4.6. In March of this year, it came back at 5.4. Day before yesterday it was 6.0.

That, according to my Urologist, is pretty convincing, as there are apparently no other causes for these numbers, other than cancer. It's a strange feeling. Kind of unreal. I'm a charter member of the "it can't happen to me" club. While I see and hear of people all around me having fatal or near fatal diseases, hey, that's not me, right?

In about three weeks, I go in for a biopsy. There is an 80% chance of it being positive. I'm going to, as far as I can, share my feelings and reactions as this situation unfolds. Prostate cancer, of course, involves the reproductive organs, and details of this experience my be objectionable to some, and perhaps helpful to others.

Right now, I am somewhat ambivalent. This type of cancer is curable in 80 or so percent of cases, and even more, when caught early. Having said that, the loss of bladder control, prevalent in many after radical surgery, and the knowledge that my sex life may be over forever, is to say the least, daunting.

Hopefully, as I periodically write about this new adventure, I will help someone to get checked, and successfully get help for them. If not, maybe just writing about this will at least keep me from whining.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck man - our thoughts are with you!

Untangled Family Roots said...

I sure hope it comes back negative for cancer. I've watched too many of my family members suffer from variouse forms of this disease. I wish you the best, and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Herb, my prayers are with you. Lots of guys beat this. You will too!

Unbearable Bob

Bay Views said...

You guys are great...Bless you all...

Mike Kennedy said...

Herb - I don't get onto other blogs a tremendous amount, but for some reason I checked into yours tonight and read about your prostate scare.

Whether it's cancer or not, Bob's right, many guys do beat this. I know several myself at many ages.

You'll be in my family's prayers - and if you're comfortable with it, your writing an ongoing blog check in on your progress might well be interesting, educational, and uplifting.

Courage to you, Herb.