Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Cab Tales 11

The most interesting part of driving cab at night is the life lessons learned. Coming from a suit and tie business background, I had no idea how to handle unruly drunks or worse, drug users.

I learned than size, age, or physical condition had little to do with keeping the upper hand. I went from being scared half to death, to a calm deliberate peace maker. I once remarked that we had about the same job as a police officer, but without the gun or ability to lock up anyone.

Many of my stories will take place during the horror winter of...I think 91-92. I'm terrible about remembering exactly when events took place. While driving cab, I've been invited to participate in drug use, sex, and well, you get the picture.

Lest anyone wonder about what my reaction was, and I was single, I considered myself a professional. A person that an inebriated lady could feel would see her safely home...I did exactly that. Temptations aside, my belief was that if the female in question didn't know me, and wouldn't have extended an invitation while sober, she damn sure wasn't going to be used, while under the influence.

From time to time, I gave free rides. Not often and not to friends. It was always due to a humanitarian situation. I have no confessions, as such because I was proud of my conduct. More to follow tomorrow...

4 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

Unruly drunks? Drug users? In Coeur d'Alene? Surely you jest!

Bay Views said...

Absolutely not...And please don't call me Shirley...

green libertarian said...

"Temptations aside, my belief was that if the female in question didn't know me, and wouldn't have extended an invitation while sober, she damn sure wasn't going to be used, while under the influence."

Very astute, and correct, Herb, well said.

Mommy Dearest said...

Look how much material you have from your career as a taxi driver alone ... I'm impressed.