Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Town With a Complex

I grew up in the shadow of Seattle, Washington. I have lived in other, even larger cities. While I really like at this stage of my life, the laid back environs of Bayview, I can't help wondering about Spokane.

Opening my paper this morning...No actually, I didn't have to open it. One the front page of the Spokesman-Review today was a picture and a headline. Not unusual at all. What I felt was unusual was that it was a picture of two sports reporters from ESPN.

It has long been held that reporters interviewing reporters is not news so much as that is is a form of Journalistic Incest. Above this picture of reporters covering the Ice Skating Championships is a Banner Headline remenicient of the pronouncement of the end of World War 11, saying,"IN THE SPOTLIGHT."

I've always thought that front page headlines are for front page news, not a sporting event. The evidence here points to the Paper, and the City, having a huge Inferiority Complex.

3 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

Another point on which we agree. I've always thought Spokane and to an even greater degree Coeur d'Alene are towns in search of another identity but are afraid to let go of what they are.

stebbijo said...

Herb- thought you were out of town but saw you on HBO. My Bob is working on the as the wheel turns or some soap opera - looks/sounds like a winner!

Mommy Dearest said...

Gads, Herb. I'm not gonna comment on this one :) But I wanted to let you know that I gave your potato salad a plug and posted our new pic over on my blog. You look so handsome. Those ladies down south better look out. You can woo them with your potato salad and banjo.