Sunday, December 03, 2017

Shocked, Dismayed

A letter from the Spokesman-Review arrived a couple of days ago. Figuring it was a bill, I set it aside. When I finally opened it, it was a notice that rural delivery would cease January 1, 2018.

I have been a subscriber for the last 28 years, here in Kootenai County. I will sorely miss getting this paper at my door faithfully every day. My delivery team has given me exceptional service here in Bayview. If Kootenai County is too rural, then apparently all of us in North Idaho are going to be shunned.

My carrier told  me last year that when the Handle Extra was discontinued, his route in Athol and Bayview lost 60 subscribers. I wrote for the Handle for five years, writing about local people and events.

When the paper forced retirement on to just about every veteran reporter, plus Huckleberries on line, I predicted that the new editor was the acting funeral director. Now, with the home delivery cancelled, I'm sure the paper is in a death spiral.


No comments: