Monday, July 02, 2007

Rememberences

>This was received from Dave Morrow, a long time resident of Bayview. I would like to feature it here.>
>
> We must never forget who gets the credit for the freedoms we have, of which we
should be eternally grateful.
>
>
> I watched the flag pass by one day,
> It fluttered in the breeze.
>
>
> A young Marine saluted it,
> And then he stood at ease.

>
> I looked at him in uniform
> So young, so tall, so proud,
> With hair cut square and eyes alert
> He'd stand out in any crowd.
>
>
> I thought how many men like him
> Had fallen through the years.
> How many died on foreign soil
> How many mothers' tears?
>
>
> How many pilots' planes shot down?
> How many died at sea
> How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
> No, freedom isn't free.
>
> I heard the sound of Taps one night,
> When everything was still,
> I listened to the bugler play
> And felt a sudden chill.
> I wondered just how many times
> That Taps had meant "Amen,"
>
> When a flag had draped a coffin.
> Of a brother or a friend. >
>
> I thought of all the children,
> Of the mothers and the wives,
> Of fathers, sons and husbands
> With interrupted lives.
>
> I thought about a graveyard
> At the bottom of the sea
>
>
> Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
> No, freedom isn't free.
>
>
> Enjoy Your Freedom &God Bless Our Troops Wherever they are.

No comments: