Saturday, June 06, 2009

Adventure Sports Week


This extravaganza that comes just a couple of weeks before Ironman in Coeur d'Alene, kicked off today with the Gauntlet. A short course Triathlon, (short, my ass, the bike ride alone would have killed me)Began on the beach below the starting point at, Sunrise Picnic grounds.

The short course triatholon began with a long swim against a persistant chop due to the wind whistling into Idlewild Bay. Somehow, all of the swimmers survived, but just in time to race up a steep path, peeling off their wetsuits, preparatory to grabbing their bike and heading out for a twice around course equaling 18 miles, thence back to the start finish line, where we understand they were further abused.

After taking a few pictures at the end of the swim and start of the bike portion, I headed out for the top of the Big amphitheater, commonly referred to as the sledding hill, locally. There, realizing they were short one traffic controller, I acted as a spotter for the flagger. In the process, I met some very interesting folks. One lady contestant, was wearing a prosthetic left leg, and wasn't doing too bad. Actually she was leading many other riders, including many men.

Which brings me to my next point. No logic that I could find, identified those that should have led, opposed to those that should have been far behind. I saw elderly women leading men, young women kicking ass on the guys their own age, there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the standings as I saw them, other that I would have been dead halfway through the race. The organizers were a little disorganized, I didn't get the press packet I was promised, and I, at this time do not have winners, or for that matter, any other names to share. I will attempt to fix that tomorrow.

No comments: