Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Seahawks Future Looks Bright

I have been pondering the future of the Seahawks. Certainly one of the major reasons why teams rise and fall is that when players over achieve, more money is required to keep them. That is only fair, as it is always important to be able to earn a raise for outstanding performance, regardless of what you do for a living.

The salary cap enters the picture at this point. Teams that are at or near the cap, are unable to sign players they would like to keep. Every season we read where star players are released for salary cap reasons.

The old system was broke, where players were indentured to a team with no other choices other than to quit. This one is broke too, from the opposite direction.

Paying athletes to perform for three hours once a week several millions per year is probably skewed the other way. I don't have the answer to this dilemma, other than to notice that teams do not pay players. Fans that buy tickets and/or watch television with the commercial messages do.

I can no longer afford to buy tickets to these events, as much as I would like to.

In another sport, baseball, I remember the Los Angeles Dodgers, back in 1963 were backed into a corner by Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale. Two of the all time best. They were demanding $50,000 per year each. My box seat tickets were $4.50.

The Seahawks, however have been judicious with the cap. I am told by Steve Kelley of the Seattle Times, that the team has enough room under the salary cap to sign both Steve Hutchinson and Shaun Alexander, both whom are free agents at the end of the year. Maybe even football teams can budget. Long live the Seahawks!

3 comments:

JBelle said...

And let's hear it for living within your means!

JBelle said...

hello Mr. Herb, the Seahawks future looks so bright I need sunglasses!

Anonymous said...

I'm here to report for duty, Sir. Where's my wand?