Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Love Story, by Meg Andrews


Unfortunately, the Spokesman-Review left out about half of the stories that were tendered, and all of them that had taken the trouble to send pictures. I am not happy. Having said that, I will publish those that were left out, starting with this stirring tale of love: Herb

Our story is one that by all probabilities should not have survived. We met in December 1977, the year of our senior year of High School. He needed a date for a company Christmas party. He had heard about me from a friend of mine. We met briefly during lunch sitting in the “Pits” at CHS. We “happened” to both be at a game on the next Friday night. A bunch of us all went to Pappy’s Pizza after the game; the group included him and me “coincidentally”.

He was going out to get his family’s Christmas tree the next day, and wanted to know if I’d like to go along. He asked me to be his date for his company party. We were both just 17, and had only known each other for a short time, but we felt a connection, and ultimately we fell in love very quickly. By February, he asked me to marry him. I accepted. Strangely, the only people who did not seem to think this was the craziest thing they had ever heard were our parents. My friends were skeptical. I have heard my siblings, all much older than me, had placed bets as to how long our marriage would (or wouldn’t) last. Though my parents were not opposed, I sensed they did not want to spend too much money, in case it didn’t last. Being Depression era, they wouldn’t want to waste money, so I borrowed a wedding dress from a family friend. Honestly, if you were to tell me this story, I would probably think it was a bad idea, myself.

Fortunately, it was not a bad idea. It was a beautiful beginning to a long and wonderful friendship and love affair. October 7, 2008, we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. We started out as two kids, with barely two nickels to rub together, as the saying goes, who worked hard, raised two beautiful daughters, owned, and toiled, and grew a successful business together for 13 years. We now find ourselves in Moscow, Idaho while he goes back to college to finish a degree in Computer Engineering that he began back in the early 80’s at NIC.

Some have asked, “What is your secret?” There is no secret, really. Communication, and especially learning how to communicate with each other in a way that is well received by both parties seems to be a key part to the success of our relationship. It has been hard work at times, but it is well worth the effort. Love, respect and friendship, along with communication I believe are key to our relationship. Tenacity doesn’t hurt either, being willing to hang in there and work through things. Being willing to go the distance for the person and a relationship that you believe in more than anyone or anything else in the world. Oh, and forgiveness never hurts a relationship either

No comments: