Thursday, November 01, 2007

I grieve

'Today, Steve Smith, Editor of the Spokesman-review, gave proof to the rumors that a large number of reporters will be laid off. Well, they weren't rumors. Many, almost all former crackerjack reporters for the S/R Idaho Bureau have been dumped, laid off. All, seemingly from the North Idaho Bureau.

Gone is the guy with the envirionmental background, Jim Hagengruber, the guy that wrote headline stories about the fish kill in Scenic Bay, and always follows through with the best information possible.I am stunned. I thought about the original estimates of a few. (I figured two North Idaho reporters.) I think of all the times I sail into the newsroom, stop to say Hi to the Bureau Chief, Scott Maben, sally over to the photo department, where Jesse Tinsley seemingly effortlessly creates prize winning photos, and also helps an overage reporter improve his photos.

After a quick Quack at Meghann, on to my honorary Granddaughter, Taryn Hecker. Paula Davenport steps on my stories, I love her anyway. Some of the others, I know casually, but these people that I have named, have carved a spot in my heart, and they know it.

I can't hurt as much as my friends at the newsroom, but I'm a close second to Steve Smith, the Guy that cares a lot, and can't show it publicly. As a correspondent, I hurt even worse than most.

You see, it was the mentoring and helpfulness of these fine people, people that knew for every article that I wrote, it chipped away at their job security. I hurt for Taryn, my buddy at all times. Fortunately, she will bounce back rapidly, and at her age, probably to a better future. I hurt for Boo & Goo. One more sour apple thrust upon their Young lives.

How can I walk back into the newsroom without giving a loud QUACK in Meghann's direction.

I suspect that very soon, Steve Smith will be announcing the hiring of several new correspondents, coincidentally, former reporters.

I grieve for those that I could never even hold their sandals.As a correspondent, that was pretty much all of them.

I will not sleep well tonight.


No comments: