Friday, March 11, 2016

Irv Leifer, R.I.P.

Some of you may have read the story that Irv Leifer, basketball coach at Renton High school died this past week. But he was much more than that.

He taught my P.E. class when I was in Jr High School at Renton Jr-Sr high back in the 1950's.I was a basketball manager, which meant we shagged balls, handed out towels and such. We also carried the Seattle Times paper route which included Irv Leifer. He use to call me Husie.

I was at the game when Renton, dominated Elma high school for the state championship. George Struger was a 6 '5" Center that was as wide as he was tall. Elma had a 7'1" center that was a string bean, having to take oxygen during time outs. Struger dominated the key, not letting the skinny kid anywhere near the basket.Renton won.

In 1953 through 1956 when I graduated from Renton, we were the largest high school in the state.
Renton had a couple of career coaches, in Leifer and John Suzic. Suzic's daughter and husband, recently retired from hydroplane racing.

I don't think I've ever met a nicer teacher, nor any other man. Still he was very intense in his training athletes Here is a link to the story in the Seattle Times.

 http://www.Seattle Times.com/sports/high-school/state-basketball-coaching-legend-irv-leifer


No comments: