Sunday, July 05, 2015

BAYVIEW EVACUATED

I am writing this from a motel room in Coeur d'Alene. Bayview is under emergency evacuation orders due to an uncontrolled wild fire near the East end of Cape Horn. The fire started around Noon to 12:30. I looked up and the Farragut Peninsula was hidden in dense smoke.

None of this has been verified except I did call 9-1-1 who verified the evacuation order. I went from business to business like a modern day Paul Revere telling everyone that they needed to leave. Nobody believed me, but I flagged down a deputy Sheriff who promised to deliver the message personally.

Whether the blaze reaches downtown Bayview is unknown at this time, except the wind shifted as I left Bayview coming from east to west which is not good. As I looked over my shoulder it appeared that the fire had at least doubled in size and was ominously heading toward the town with marinas packed with boats and RV parks filled up.

I understood from a scanner, that fire trucks were unable to address the blaze, as it was climbing up hill in a road less area. Perhaps they can set a fire line somewhere on Cherokee Road. Not unusual, there was more traffic heading into the town than out as people couldn't believe this was happening.

A huge traffic jam is about to occur if it hasn't already. As of the time I left, no helicopters or bombers had responded.

No comments: